Tuesday 11 June 2013

Competencies and e-Portfolio

Having seen this week's task about creating an e-portfolio relating to the progress I have made during my stay in Linz, I was immediately interested in trying out one of the suggested tools.  However, upon registering and attempting to create an e-portfolio I realised that it would take me some time to get to grips with the process. Whilst I would like to explore these tools further, for the time being I will simply explain how I would intend to demonstrate my progress using a portfolio.
 
The most significant area of progress for me has been the development of my communicative skills.  Through participating in classes with students from many different countries (Austria,Turkey and Spain to name a few), I have had to adapt the ways in which I communicate with people in order for conversations and co-operation to occur.  One of the classes I attended, entitled Innovative Teaching Strategies, involved participating in various activities that are intended to develop communicative skills and encourage co-operation.  Therefore, on my e-portfolio, I could display some examples of activities I have participated in from this class.
 
Additionally, my communicative skills were developed through the experience of school practice.  Having had the chance to plan lessons for a 4th grade class of native German speakers with limited English, this enabled me to develop the skills necessary to support these pupils' learning.  Through the use of visual aids, drama and gestures, myself and my fellow students were able to provide instructions to pupils to enable them to understand what they were being asked to do.  This also enabled us to engage in conversations with the pupils, supported by the use of gestures and visuals.  To provide evidence of this, I could perhaps post some lesson plans and pictures of the materials used and of myself teaching during lessons.
 
On a personal level, my self-confidence and independence have increased greatly since I arrived in Austria.  As someone who would have considered themselves to be a rather shy person who was somewhat set in their ways,the process of living alone, travelling to many different places and meeting so many new people has pushed me to break out of my comfort zone and try new and exciting things.  Perhaps including details of some of my experiences from my stay in Linz, details of my travels and photographs would demonstrate this growth.
 
In summary, having experienced the use of paper based portfolios, I can see the advantages of using an e-portfolio as an alternative. It is easier for both students and teachers to access.  If there are changes to be made, this is much easier to do on an e-portfolio as opposed to a paper based portfolio.  Finally, technology is advancing so rapidly, and features heavily in education, it seems appropriate to take full advantage of the tools available and extend your skills with online tools at the same time as displaying learning in other areas.
Perhaps? Source

No comments:

Post a Comment